Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Coming out of the Doman Closet

I am a Doman mom. Arg, I just jumped out of the flashcard closet, let me back in, let me back in! Before the bashing begins, I have to say a few things in my defense. If you have no idea what I'm talking about... all the better for me. :)

1) Bits of intelligence are really quite a bit more than flashcards. It's more like the illustrations from a picture book. I think it's the "drill and kill" idea (which I've mentioned before here and here) that people object to, more than the actual material itself.

2) Raccoon LOVED doing bits with me, up until he was about 7 months old and crawling all over.

3) The whole program has a huge emphasis on mobility, which has always worked well in our family.

4) JOY. It's all about joyful learning. If it's not fun, stop it and do something different.

5) I also firmly believe that it works for some and doesn't for others, so the best thing for the child is to have a happy mother who enjoys being with her children (most of the time, ha ha). If it's stressing you out, then it's not a good thing in real life no matter how much it looks great on paper.

6) There seems to be a double standard out there. If your child is born with known special needs, then you are encouraged to do every type of available therapy to help them "catch up." But if they are born normal (as far as you know), then for some, any type of early learning is considered forced and bad. For me, the goal is to help my well children be as well as they can be.


 
Sample Bits of Intelligence

No comments:

Post a Comment