Thursday, October 13, 2011

Welcome!


photo by J.M. Garg (Wikipedia)
Celosia School

Say what?! I picked the first letters from the 9 words that most describe my son (curious, energetic, likable/loving, observant, strong-willed/spirited, intense, active, bright) and using my handy anagram solver, came up with "sociable" or "celosia." Turns out that a celosia is a pretty amazing plant.

This fits us in so many ways:
* The name is derived from the Greek word κηλος (kelos), meaning "burned." As a follower of Jesus, I am being "refined by fire."
* It is versatile (medicine, nutrition, beauty), well-travelled, very productive, resistant to disease, thrives wherever it's planted, and it has the potential to change the world.

I also like that "celosia" looks a bit like "celestial." I'll probably say it see-LOW-sha to avoid sounding like "celoso" (jealous) in Spanish.

My son turned two years old today, but I have some questions about whether traditional school will ever be a good fit for him. So I added "For the Spirited" to our school's name, since any learning we do is going to be done on the go!


The picture behind the blog banner is by Mohd Hafiz Noor Shams (Wikipedia).

ETA: The title originally said Celosia School for the Spirited, then today, ten-ish years later (3/4/2021), I tried Celosia School for the Sociable since that describes Raccoon to a T. Neither one was as good as just Celosia School, so that is how I would like it to stand for posterity. I have changed anything else that I wrote that day... yet.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment